Since buying a house is probably the dominant topic in my head, here are 7 things I've learned while house hunting.
- If you walk into a house and immediately know it's not it, don't waste time walking through it. Walk right back out.
- Not everyone takes care of their houses as you would.
- If you don't love it, don't make an offer.
- Trust your gut.
- If you love the layout of the house, don't get caught up on the floors, walls or other cosmetics. Those can be more easily changed. The layout and size of closets/bathrooms cannot.
- As you drive up, check out the neighborhood. What kind of cars are parked on the street? What other activities are going on? Are the other yards well kept?
- Look for signs of major issues.... the wall separating from the ceiling may mean foundation trouble. Wet carpet may mean a water leak.